Latest update: May 10, 2018
Our policy used to be shorter, but lawyers wanted to make it complicated. In fairness, it became complicated in an attempt to protect your rights as a User.
To be very transparent: our website allows you to freely supply some Personal Data to the site owner through a contact form. Our website also utilizes cookies from Google Analytics, but the part of the data which might be possible to identify you is called an IP address, and that IP address is anonymized in computer memory as it begins being processed by Google. Therefore your computer’s IP address is never visible to auut studio, and the precise address is never saved by Google.
auut studio uses your IP address to evaluate how people use our website in aggregate, and what content people find most useful. The reason we want your contact details to stay in touch about new educational projects we create, and to build a relationship of trust in case we can help you in the future. But we will never sell nor give your email address for another organization to use. Ever. That’s an archival-quality promise.
Applicability of broader protection standards
While most provisions of this document concern all Users, some provisions expressly only apply if the processing of Personal Data is subject to broader protection standards. Such broader protection standards apply when the processing:
- is performed by an Owner based within the EU – however, this Owner is not based inside the EU;
- concerns the Personal Data of Users who are in the EU and is related to the offering of paid or unpaid services to those Users;
- concerns the Personal Data of Users who are in the EU and allows the Owner to monitor such Users’ behavior taking place in the EU.
Types of Data Collected
Among the types of Personal Data that this website collects through third parties, there are: Cookies and Usage Data.
The types of Personal Data that this website collects by itself (when voluntarily provided) are: first name, last name, profession, state, and email address.
Personal Data may be voluntarily provided by the User, or, in case of Usage Data, collected automatically when using this website. Users are free not to communicate this Data without consequences to the availability or the functioning of the site. Users who are uncertain about which Personal Data is mandatory are welcome to contact the Owner.
Users are responsible for any third-party Personal Data (like someone else’s email address) shared through this website and confirm that they have the third party’s consent to provide the Data to the Owner.
Mode and place of processing the Data
Methods of processing
The Owner takes appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorized destruction of the Data.
The Data processing is carried out using computers and/or IT enabled tools, following organizational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes indicated. In addition to the Owner, in some cases, the Data may be accessible to certain types of persons in charge, involved with the operation of this website (administration, sales, marketing, legal, system administration) or external parties (such as mail carriersm or the website’s hosting provider) appointed, if necessary, as Data Processors by the Owner. The updated list of these parties may be requested from the Owner at any time.
Legal basis of processing
The Owner may process Personal Data relating to Users if one of the following applies:
- Users have given their consent for one or more specific purposes. Note: Under some legislations the Owner may be allowed to process Personal Data until the User objects to such processing (“opts out”), without having to rely on consent or any other of the following legal bases. This, however, does not apply, whenever the processing of Personal Data is subject to European data protection law;
- the provision of Data is necessary for the performance of an agreement with the User and/or for any pre-contractual obligations thereof;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the Owner is subject;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Owner or by a third party.
In any case, the Owner will gladly help to clarify the specific legal basis that applies to the processing, and in particular whether the provision of Personal Data is a requirement necessary to enter into a contract for services from the Owner.
The Data is processed at the Owner’s computers operating in California, and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located.
Depending on the User’s location, data transfers may involve transferring the User’s Data to a country other than their own. To find out more about the place of processing of such transferred Data, Users can check the section containing details about the processing of Personal Data.
If broader protection standards are applicable, Users are also entitled to learn about the legal basis of Data transfers to a country outside the European Union or to any international organization governed by public international law, and about the security measures taken by the Owner to safeguard their Data.
If any such transfer takes place, Users can find out more by checking the relevant sections of this document or inquire with the Owner using the information provided in the contact section.
Personal Data shall be processed and stored for as long as required by the purpose they have been collected for. Therefore:
- Cookie and Usage Data for the purposes of the Owner’s legitimate interests to improve the website shall be processed and stored for up to 26 months from the User’s visit to the site. Users may find specific information regarding the legitimate interests pursued by the Owner within the relevant sections of this document or by contacting the Owner.
- Personal Data in the form of names, profession, state, and email addresses shall be processed and stored indefinitely whenever the User has given consent to receive occasional newsletters via email, as originally requested by the User, for as long as such consent is not withdrawn. The User can always request that the Data Controller unsubscribe their email, or suspend or remove that data.
Furthermore, the Owner may be obliged to retain Personal Data for a longer period if required by a legal authority to do so.
Once the retention period expires, Personal Data shall be deleted. Therefore, the right to access, the right to erasure, the right to rectification and the right to data portability cannot be enforced after expiration of the retention period.
The purposes of processing
The Personal Data is collected to allow the Owner to provide its services as well as for the following purposes: Site Analytics, Contacting the User, and Managing contacts and sending messages.
Users can find further detailed information about such purposes, and about the specific Personal Data used for each purpose, in the respective sections of this document.
Detailed information on the processing of Data
Personal Data is collected for the following purposes and using the following services:
(1) Site Analytics
The services contained in this section enable the Owner to monitor and analyze web traffic and can be used to keep track of User navigation behavior on the website.
Google Analytics (Google Inc.)
Google Analytics is a third-party web analysis service provided by Google Inc. (“Google”). Google utilizes the Data collected to track and examine the use of this website, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services used by the Owner.
Google may use the Data collected to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network that appear to the User on other websites. However, the Owner of this website does not utilize the Data to customize any advertising of its own.
This integration of Google Analytics anonymizes your IP address as it is being processed by Google. It works by shortening Users’ IP addresses to leave off the final digits, and in this way there is no numerical address saved by Google which itself identifies the Users’ computer or constitutes "Personal Data".
Personal Data collected: Cookies, Usage Data.
(2) Contacting the User
Contact Form on this site
By filling in the contact form with their Data, the User authorizes the Owner to use these details to reply to requests for information, quotes, or any other kind of request as indicated by the form’s header.
Personal Data collected: email address, first name, last name, and profession.
Mailing list or newsletter form
By registering on the mailing list or for the newsletter, the User’s email address will be added to the list of contacts of those who may receive email messages containing information of commercial or promotional nature concerning this website.
Personal Data collected: email address, first name, last name, profession, and state.
Place of processing: United States
(3) Managing contacts & sending messages
This type of service makes it possible to manage a database of email contacts, or any other contact information to communicate with the User. These services may also collect data concerning the date and time when the message was viewed by the User, as well as when the User interacted with it, such as by clicking on links included in the message.
MailChimp (The Rocket Science Group, LLC)
MailChimp is a third-party email address management and message sending service provided by The Rocket Science Group, LLC.
Personal Data collected: email address, first name, last name, profession, and state.
The rights of Users
Users may exercise certain rights regarding their Data processed by the Owner.
Users entitled to broader protection standards may exercise any of the rights described below. In all other cases, Users may inquire with the Owner to find out which rights apply to them.
In particular, Users entitled to broader protection standards have the right to do the following:
- Withdraw their consent at any time. Users have the right to withdraw consent where they have previously given their consent to the processing of their Personal Data.
- Object to processing of their Data. Users have the right to object to the processing of their Data if the processing is carried out on a legal basis other than consent. Further details are provided in the dedicated section below.
- Access their Data. Users have the right to learn if Data is being processed by the Owner, obtain disclosure regarding certain aspects of the processing and obtain a copy of the Data undergoing processing.
- Verify and seek rectification. Users have the right to verify the accuracy of their Data and ask for it to be updated or corrected.
- Restrict the processing of their Data. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of their Data. In this case, the Owner will not process their Data for any purpose other than storing it.
- Have their Personal Data deleted or otherwise removed. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to obtain the erasure of their Data from the Owner.
- Receive their Data and have it transferred to another controller. Users have the right to receive their Data in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and, if technically feasible, to have it transmitted to another controller without any hindrance. This provision is applicable provided that the Data is processed by automated means and that the processing is based on the User’s consent, on a contract which the User is part of, or on pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Lodge a complaint. Users have the right to bring a claim before their competent data protection authority.
Details about the right to object to processing
Where Personal Data is processed for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Owner, Users may object to such processing by providing a ground related to their particular situation to justify the objection.
Users must know that, however, should their Personal Data be processed for direct marketing purposes, they can object to that processing at any time without providing any justification. To learn, whether the Owner is processing Personal Data for direct marketing purposes, Users may refer to the relevant sections of this document.
How to exercise these rights
Any requests to exercise User rights can be directed to the Owner through the contact details provided in this document. These requests can be exercised free of charge and will be addressed by the Owner as early as possible and always within one month.
Additional information about Data collection and processing
The User’s Personal Data may be used for legal purposes by the Owner in court or in the stages leading to possible legal action arising from improper use of this website or the related services. The User declares to be aware that the Owner may be required to reveal personal data upon a court order from official public authorities.
Additional information about User’s Personal Data
Systems logs and maintenance
For operation and maintenance purposes, this website and any third-party services may collect files that record interaction with this website (System logs) and use other Personal Data (namely, the IP Address) for this purpose.
Information not contained in this policy
More details concerning the collection or processing of Personal Data may be requested from the Owner at any time. Please see the contact information at the beginning of this document.
How “Do Not Track” requests are handled
This website’s third-party Data processor, Google Analytics, does not support the “Do Not Track” requests as implemented in some browsers. This website’s third-party Data processor, MailChimp, also does not support these “Do Not Track” requests. To determine whether any of the other third-party services honor the “Do Not Track” requests, please read their privacy policies.
Should the changes affect processing activities performed on the basis of the User’s consent, the Owner shall collect new consent from the User, where required.